Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Second Trimester and Feeling Great

Wow- I am so happy to be feeling like my pre-pregnant self again!  I have lots of energy, I enjoy cooking healthy meals, and I look forward to exercise.  Of course I have an extra 10 pounds I am carrying around, but at least I am not sick or tired anymore.  The first 4 months were exhausting, but I feel great now and am ready to write!  To begin,  I want to express the importance of eating healthy while pregnant.  Anytime I am dining out, or have friends over for dinner they always say that I can splurge and eat what I want since I am pregnant and eating for two.  Well one of the two I am eating for is only the size of a mango, so I am pretty sure baby does not need a full meal.  It is reccommended to consume an extra 300 calories per day in the second trimester and 400 in the third.  Those calories should come from healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds, or whole grains.  Remember that 300 calories is not much!  Here is a list of healthy snacks that are under 300 calories.

*  1/2 Cup granola with 1/3 Cup almond milk, 1/2 banana
*  2 Slices sprouted bread with 2 TBSP almond butter
*  Spinach salad with 2 TBSP goat cheese, 10 almonds, 1 Tbsp olive oil, 1 Tbsp vinegar
*  2 whole wheat waffles, 2 Tbsp 100% maple syrup, 1/2 Cup sliced strawberries
*  1/2 70% dark chocolate bar

There will be times when you just cannot control your cravings and need something more satisfying.  I would say head to the health food store and pick up a vegan dessert.  It may not be low in calories and fat, but at least it is made fresh and healthier than anything in packaging.  I have to admit there were 2 days this week when I just needed chocolate cake.  The health food store had Vegan peanut butter chocolate cupcakes.  There was only 8 ingredients so I gave in and splurged- which is OK as long as it is not EVERYDAY!  I enjoyed every bite and had no guilt after I finished it.  If you know you are going to feel guilty after eating something- then why bother.  The point of splurging is to enjoy what you are consuming.

****  WE FIND OUT THE SEX OF THE BABY NEXT TUESDAY SO CHECK IN TO FIND OUT!

1 comment:

  1. You has a great blog. I'm very interesting to stopping here and leaves you a comment. Good work.

    Lets keep writing and share your information to us.

    Nb: Dont forget to leave your comment back for us.

    ReplyDelete