Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Easy Vegan Snacks


Easy Vegan Snacks

I remember when I first started eating healthy, how messy the kitchen was after each meal.  I had cutting boards to chop my veggies, strainer to wash the veggies, saute pan to cook the veggies, food processor to make salad dressing, bowl for salad, plates for main dish, baking dish to cook protein, the floor was a disaster.  I realized why so many people were serving fast food or frozen dinners each night.  Cooking is A LOT of work. It requires patience and dedication.  My husband is a chef who works most evenings, so most nights I am cooking for one.  There were nights all I wanted to do was call in pizza, but instead I took a deep breath, and allowed myself to enjoy preparing a healthy and delicious meal for myself. I put music on, poured myself a glass of wine, and enjoyed the time for myself.  I do have a few meals that when I am exhausted and do not want to spend hours in the kitchen, I can fall back on.  Here they are.


Sweet potato fries

2 large sweet potatoes, cleaned and cut
1 TBSP olive oil
salt and pepper
favorite seasoning


Preheat oven to 425.  Grease baking sheet.  Mix potatoes with oil and salt and pepper.  You can also add cumin or any spice you like.  Arrange potatoes in single layer on baking dish.  Bake for about 15 minutes.  Flip.  Bake an additional 10-15 minutes until golden brown.

I serve this with a salad some nights and am satisfied.

Veggie Saute


2 zucchinis cut and washed
2 carrots

1 onion chopped
1 package mushrooms chopped
2 Tbsp Braggs liquid amino
salt and pepper
1-2 Tbsp olive oil, or coconut oil


Heat frying pan on medium high heat.  Add oil.  Saute veggies starting with carrots, then zucchini, then onion and finally mushrooms.  Saute about 10 minutes or until onions are opaque.  Add Braggs and let simmer a minute or 2.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment