Monday, November 21, 2011

Surviving the Holidays With Unhealthy Friends




I was talking to some friends today about what we were each going to cook for Thanksgiving.   After hearing what everyone else was making (yes the usual mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, turkey, and gravy) I realized none of these dishes are going to be waist friendly.  I love my friends, but unfortunately they are not as health conscious as I am.  The only person I can really count on to make a heart healthy meal with me is my amazing sister Cassie.  Instead of cancelling Thanksgiving dinner and eating alone on this holiday, I decided I was going to bring some EXTRA healthy sides to counteract all the yummy delicious full fat dishes that would be there.  Here are some healthy dishes my sister and I will cook on Wednesday evening for Turkey Day.  I hope you enjoy!!

Low Sugar Cranberry Sauce

Ingredients:
2 (12- ounce) bags fresh cranberries
1 Cup orange juice
1 Cup crushed pineapple
1 Cup pomegranate juice
1 Tsp fresh ginger minced
1/4 Cup 100% maple syrup or agave nectar
1 Tsp ground cloves

Instructions
*Add all ingredients except maple syrup and cloves to a saucepan and cook over medium heat about 6 minutes
*When berries start to pop, stir until thickens
*Remove from heat. Add syrup and cloves.  Chill until ready to serve

Nutrition Content (per serving):
74 calories, 0 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 19 g carbohydrates, 13 g sugars, 3 g fiber, 0 g protein, 4 mg sodium
 
Healthy Brussel Sprouts

1.5 pounds brussel sprouts
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tsp salt
1/2 Tsp pepper

Heat oven to 400 degrees.  Mix ingredients in a bowl to coat brussel sprouts.  Add to pan.  Roast for about 35-40 minutes or until light brown.  Shake pan every ten minutes to evenly cook.  Top with additional salt to taste

 




I will add more recipes the next few days.  If you have a favorite dish you are making this year for Thanksgiving please let me know about it!





No comments:

Post a Comment