Saturday, November 19, 2011

Yo- Yo Dieting

Growing up in Pennsylvania I knew every winter I could gain a few pounds when the holidays came around because the weather was colder and I could hide behind sweatshirts and jackets.  It was a constant cycle of gaining a few pounds between October and February, and then losing those pounds in time for the summer months.  Now that I am living in Hawaii and it is bathing suit season all the time, I need to make sure I keep myself in check during the holidays.  Here are some things I do to prevent gaining those extra pounds. 


** Exercise
Many people put exercise on the back burner during the holiday time so they can spend more time with family and friends.  Exercising just 30 minutes a day can burn about 300 calories.  This is equivalent to 1 piece of pumpkin or pecan pie - (2½ inches wide at the crust). 

** Bring healthy alternatives to holiday parties
My favorite thing to do is make healthy alternatives to my favorite holiday dishes.  I will try to post at least one healthy recipe a day during the next month.

** Shop at farmers markets
When I shop at farmers markets and see all the healthy people around me, it reinforces the benefits of eating healthy, local, organic produce.   Not only will you be eating healthy local produce, but you will be supporting local members of your community. 

**Stay healthy with a buddy
Working out, eating healthy, and creating goals with a friend helps hold you accountable for your actions.  Encourage a friend, signifigant other, family member, or an online buddy to stay healthy with you during the holidays.  You may even inspire others around you to create a fitness group in your community. 

These are habits you should abide by all year long.  Just remember to love yourself and your body.  If you do over eat, it is ok.  Start fresh the next day!!





Healthy pumpkin yogurt parfait
Makes: 1 serving

Ingredients

  • 1 6 ounce container plain organic low-fat yogurt
  • 2 teaspoons honey
  • 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
  • 1/4 cup favorite all natural granola
  • 1/2 cup canned or fresh pumpkin

Directions

1. Mix together yogurt, honey and pumpkin-pie spice.
2. In a bowl, layer yogurt mixture, granola-bar crumbs and pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment